When it comes to creating a valid power of attorney for your healthcare issues and decisions, the main step that should be taken is choosing the best executor. Basically, many people prefer to appoint their spouses, other relatives or friends to do this job. You need to pick someone you can trust absolutely. Make sure that you feel confident when discussing all kinds of medical care wishes and details. Your health care proxy executor doesn’t have to agree with them, but your rights must be respected. Contact reputable lawyers, such as ariano and williams, if you have any questions in your mind.
- What is your power of attorney all about? Its basic task is to provide the person you appoint with a full authority to make important healthcare decision as soon as you become unable to do that on your own. There are other names that can be used to describe this document, but they all work in a similar way.
- Is your executor assertive? This person may have to fight in order to assert all of your wishes. For example, some family members can be against them because of their personal interests or beliefs. If you foresee any chance of future conflicts, make sure that you pick someone who has a strong will to protect your best interests under different circumstances.
- Does your executor live close to your place? It is advisable to appoint someone who lives in the same area because this kind of proximity is crucial in certain situations. If you suffer from long-term ailments, your healthcare care may have to spend a lot of time nearby to ensure that your wishes are followed.
- Will this person be your financial agent at the same time? If you want to create a solid power of attorney for specific financial matters, it makes sense to name someone who will manage them as soon as you become incapacitated. You should appoint your health care proxy executor to do this job. However, if you prefer to name different individuals, make sure that they can work together.
- Is it wise to appoint your healthcare provider as an agent? This person should not be a hospital employee or doctor. Do not overlook the laws and regulations that forbid people to name such specialists and enable them to make important decisions on the behalf of their patients. Pay attention to existing restrictions on such agents.